Tuesday 30 September 2014

Apple and Sultana Drop Scones


apple and sultana drop scones
I don't know what it is that makes children so hungry after school, but the truth is they are generally ravenous when they get home. Consequently I am always looking for a snack that will satisfy them, act as a bit of treat but not ruin the chances of them being hungry enough to eat all the vegetables I live in hope that they will consume at dinner.

As a child my mum would cook the classic drop scones (also called Scotch pancakes) as a treat every once in a while. I remember the warm stack of mini pancakes would disappear in minutes, there never seemed to be enough. Because of their Moorish nature, and quite frankly my lack of will power, I sought to see what could be done to perhaps make them slightly healthier.

So here is my take on the classic drop scone. So essentially the main difference is I have added chopped dried apple pieces and sultanas, ok so lots of sugar here but its natural sugar and has the benefits of fibre and other nutrients. Another way to increase the fibre content was to substitute some of the flour with wholemeal flour, only about a fifth so it's not too dry (or noticeable). I actual replaced the caster sugar with granulated Stevia (a natural sugar alternative which has all the sweetness without the calories and doesn't give you the sugar crash of regular sugar). I also used rice bran oil, which as all the health benefits of olive oil, plus it has a higher smoking point so more of the nutrients are preserved, it also has more vitamin e.

Ingredients
  • 100g  white self-raising flour
  • 25g wholemeal self-raising flour           
  • 2 tsp caster sugar  (I used Stevia instead to reduce the sugar content)          
  • 1 egg, beaten (I had to use two but that's because I was using our bantam eggs) 
  • 4 tbsp Rice bran oil           
  • 150 ml (5 fl oz) semi-skimmed milk or water 
  • Small handful sultanas
  • Small handful dried apple pieces
  • 1/2 tap cinnamon (optional)          
Combine the flour, sugar (Stevia) and cinnamon if using. Make a well in the middle and add the beaten egg and milk/water mix to a smooth batter. Stir in the fruit.
 
Heat the oil in a heavy based frying pan. Add the batter in small dollops, may be four or five to the pan. When air bubbles start to appear in the batter its time to flip them over using a spatula. Once lightly golden on both sides remove and set aside. Best eaten while still warm. Now if you manage not to eat them all, they do freeze well. Freeze in small after school portions, they can be popped in the microwave frozen as needed (about 30 seconds). I have got to confess, I had to make two batches because I kept eating them as I was cooking them and there wasn't enough for the photo!
Seo by http://seo.uk.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you